Tuesday, July 7, 2009

4th of July


We went camping at Fort Fisher with the Johnson's for the 4th and it was great. We came home with sunburns and mosquito bites but had a great time. The beaches here are so small compared to the ones at home. The first day we had to move back until we were at the grass line just to stay out of the water. I guess they dredge the sand every couple of years and they haven't done it in awhile so the beaches are all super narrow


This is a picture of Chloe. I realize I have lots of pictures of her but she is so cute and check out her sweet sunglasses.
And here is a picture of Chloe and I. She wasn't very happy because we were standing in the water and she HATES the water. I was with Mike so I don't feel that I was being mean by standing there.
We went to Fort Fisher which was used in the Civil War. Only a part of it remains because man and weather (hurricanes) have ruined most of it. The confederate army built these mounds to protect themselves. Fort Fisher is located at the mouth of the Cape Fear River so they were trying to protect it. Anyways we know the rest of the story. These mounds are probably the highest point on the island.
Here is a cannon that they have out there. I think its purpose is for people to sit on it and take pics so thats what we did.
Here is a view from one of the mounds we were able to go up at Fort Fisher.

6 comments:

Melissa Bunn said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! You got to love mesquitos and sunburns. But it looks like it was all worth it.

Smart Helm said...

Wow, lots of fun for those of u who LIKE to camp :-)

I love the 4th of July. Isn't it awesome?

Sarah Jarvis said...

Wow, looks so pretty! I miss the beach. But we will try again in September. I can't wait. I am not even American but I sure love that holiday!

Joy :) said...

Sounds like a very fun 4th of July!!

Emily Nice said...

like Melanie said the 4th of July is a great holliday. Did you get to see fireworks?

Natalie & Josh said...

I know what you mean about the beaches. when I first moved to Cali I thought man these beaches are huge, you have to walk a mile to get to the water! lolol I missed the narrow ones! I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend!